Regex Guru

Wednesday, 10 June 2009

#1 In Computer Books on Amazon.com

Filed under: Regex Cookbook — Jan Goyvaerts @ 9:10

When I write this, Regular Expressions Cookbook is at the top spot in Amazon.com’s computers & internet bestsellers, its first day in the top 100. Its overall sales rank among all books sold by Amazon.com is #117.

Hitparades like that are very volatile. A book like ours that’s focused on a particular technical subject won’t stay at the top very long. So you’ll have to forgive me for tooting my own horn a bit after sacrificing several months of my life on this. (The whole process took a year, but Steve and I didn’t work on it full time.)

Jan Goyvaerts holding his author copy of Regular Expressions Cookbook

10 Comments

1. Check out Jeff’s blog: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001274.html

Comment by Tim — Wednesday, 10 June 2009 @ 17:08

2. Jeff Atwood is a fan. His blog is a fixture in my RSS reader too. I’m sure his glowing review played a big part in the sales spike.

One day later we’re down to #7 in the computers & internet top 100 at Amazon. Still pretty respectable, given that we have a shrew rather than a fire breather on the cover (a book I’m reading now).

Comment by Jan Goyvaerts — Thursday, 11 June 2009 @ 15:13

3. Congratulations Jan. I would guess respect for your software is no small factor in the quick sales. Hopefully my copy will be landing soon.

Comment by Lance Andrewes — Sunday, 14 June 2009 @ 7:04

4. Nice photo. O’Reilly shipped my copy to the States, so I still haven’t seen it outside of Acrobat. Kudos to both of us, but especially you Jan (considering you wrote 70%). :)

Comment by Steven Levithan — Saturday, 20 June 2009 @ 20:17

5. Thanks for a great book, Jan.

BTW, if I may ask, what’s that thing to the left of your mouse? Is it some kind of keyboard?

Comment by Harrie — Monday, 29 June 2009 @ 17:05

6. What you see is my right hand DataHand unit. The left hand unit is obscured by the book I’m holding. I blogged about the DataHand on my old blog at http://www.shareware-beach.com/2008/01/datahand-update/

Comment by Jan Goyvaerts — Monday, 29 June 2009 @ 20:36

7. Hello,

You’ve been a great help in my quest to understand regular expressions. However, I’m giving up on a problem I’ve been having and am looking to pay someone to solve it. Do you do this sort of thing?

Comment by Greg Tidwell — Tuesday, 14 July 2009 @ 13:34

8. My eyes were also caught by the “DataHand”. I would like to highly recommend a replacement for the regular mouse, which really completely removed the strain in my arms and hands. It is the Contour Design RollerMouse Pro (http://ergo.contourdesign.com/). It has a learning curve, but learning is interesting and joyful. Good ergonomic tools seem to be very expensive. I have to think a bit longer whether I will give the DataHand a try.

Comment by Gerhard Butscher — Wednesday, 15 July 2009 @ 21:56

9. I use a (now discontinued) Microsoft Optical Trackball. I tried several ergonomic mice, but found that all of them would eventually give me discomfort. The Microsoft Optical Trackball and the Microsoft Trackball Explorer work well for me. Both are discontinued and sometimes available on eBay at highly inflated prices. Last year I bought a new Logitech trackball, but it’s too small for my hands to be comfortable. And I don’t have large hands.

Comment by Jan Goyvaerts — Thursday, 16 July 2009 @ 12:02

10. I don’t do consulting work.

Comment by Jan Goyvaerts — Thursday, 16 July 2009 @ 12:03

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.